Currently, we are celebrating the updated streamlined and strengthened IB/WASC process. This resulted from our prior synchronized experience and a pilot study with IB to support a more cohesive process for the schools. Included in the revision is a detailed crosswalk of WASC Criteria/Indicators and the new IB Standards and Practices to ensure an integral analysis of the school program and systems. For example, schools will undertake the IB self-study and the WASC Focus on Learning (FOL) with the exception of “Category B: Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment” unless the concept or idea is not addressed in the IB self-study questionnaire.
Schools will also cross- reference FOL Categories on Organization for Student Learning (Purpose, Governance, Leadership, Staff, School Improvement, Resources); Student Social-Emotional and Academic Support; and School Culture and Environment, Child Protection, and Parent/Community Involvement if covered in the IB self-study. In this way WASC and IB can ensure that our schools are supported in developing and sustaining quality across all areas of the school in an effective/efficient manner.
WASC is committed to ensuring that all IB/WASC synchronized visits will provide:
- An effective and efficient integrative, analytical process for accreditation and IB evaluation with the shared focus on learning and continuous improvement;
- Minimal duplication of effort and data gathering to ensure consistent expectations;
- The ability to meet the requirements of multiple organizations simultaneously and to minimize repetition of information, data, evidence and meetings;
- Enrichment of dialogue across the school community and multiple perspectives during the visit;
- The opportunity to use one unified set of visiting committee recommendations that supports a school’s overarching schoolwide development plan, i.e., priorities and aspirational goals;
- Collaboration and communication in all aspects of the synchronized visit led by the co-chairs of the organizations, including combined school meetings with IB and WASC visiting committee members; and
- A saving of time and resources for the school.
We look forward to supporting our schools wishing to use this process and to furthering ‘the cause of collaboration’! For further details please contact Dr. Marilyn George at firstname.lastname@example.org or Dr. Margaret Alvarez at email@example.com. We will happily set up a call to provide further information.