The Accrediting Commission for Schools, WASC, is pleased to be working with international schools to provide evaluation and accreditation services. ACS WASC accreditation is an ongoing cycle of quality whereby schools demonstrate the capacity, commitment, and competence to support high-quality student learning and ongoing school improvement. The ACS WASC Focus on Learning protocol guides schools into an ongoing improvement process that includes implementation, assessment, and refinement of the schoolwide action plan on an annual basis. Appropriate reports and reviews throughout the cycle of accreditation support this process. ACS WASC works closely with the East Asia Regional Council of Schools (EARCOS) in the East Asia region. ACS WASC International Flyer
Initial Visit and Notification
On receipt of the forms and approval to proceed, ACS WASC will arrange for a two-member, one- or two-day initial visit to the school. Following the visit, the visiting committee will prepare a report to present to ACS WASC for action. This report will include recommendations regarding the school’s ongoing improvement.
The school will be notified of the Commission’s action. If the Commission’s action is favorable, the school will be granted either initial accreditation or candidacy for a period of time not to exceed three years. The Initial Visit Procedures Manual details the distinction between initial and candidacy status which is based on the degree to which the school is meeting the ACS WASC criteria.
Self-Study Visiting Committee Materials
ACS WASC Focus on Learning, 2017 International Edition
Visiting Committee Chair and Member Checklists
Visiting Committee Templates
References and Samples
- Reference Card 1: Procedures/Responsibilities of Visiting Committee Members
- Reference Card 2: Tips: Gathering, Reviewing, Analyzing Data/Information
- Reference Card 3: ACS WASC Focus on Learning Schoolwide Criteria for International Schools
- Reference Card 4: ACS WASC Focus on Learning Visiting Committee Report Format for International Schools
- Reference Card 5: ACS WASC Focus on Learning Accreditation Status Determination for International Schools
- Reference Card 6: ACS WASC Criteria Concepts for International Schools
Other Visits and Report Materials
Most international schools follow the same procedures, dependent upon the accreditation status that they have received. Appropriate information can be found in the following documents.
Visiting Committee Materials